Jaz

A new Home for Arboretum Valley

224 posts in this topic

There will some people who already know us. To the others I apologise in advance.

Arboretum Valley is a collection of stations, and interlinked dioramas. We include Zollywood where we have a roving film crew. It started innocently as one of the stations is Goathland NYRM which has been used for the filming of various subjects including Heartbeat and Harry Potter, it was an excuse to run the infamous Hogwarts Express (I know.. I know not even the correct loco - don't blame me..... blame Hornby... well blame anyone but me ;p) then Bachmann was contracted to do a special run of Goathland buildings... so we had parts of Heartbeat Village. We collect Hornby and Bachmann buildings (if you didn't get that point yet :)) and occasionally a station can disappear over night Poof in a puff of smoke and a new station appear as tho by magic. There has also been the odd 28mm Dalek seen, tastefully .... .oh ok not so tastefully...and  photographed to attempt to make it look as tho it is 4mm - this takes skill, not much admittedly :) to pull off. 

In order to attempt to not completely alienate those who cannot stomach our rather tongue in cheek layout let me point out in our defence, we model eras from 1960s onwards, we do attempt to keep sections in the same era, we will attempt many of the skills that are seen as desirable. We will also attempt unusual ways to provide items we wish to add to the layout. And everything can be run vanilla, i.e. without the filming element. 

As you can probably see, we are a bit off the wall, and enjoy a joke. I will do a quick introduction in pictures, I'll try to offer a vanilla choice as well as the raspberry flavour :) .... ......And I would like to say welcome one and all..... .enjoy the ride :)

Edited by Jaz
Allegheny1600 likes this

Kalboro station sidings an overview.

Kalboro is our biggest station, and usually it is set in present day.

Here you have the sidings, leading off into the tunnels which go under Port Lynn town.

med_gallery_997_197_637209.jpg

Edited by Jaz

Kalboro main station

For the moment this is an Art Deco station. All our track is DCC controlled and usually Peco 75.

In the back ground to the right is Port Lynn town, and off to the far left is Hosmeade and Hogswart a magical part of the layout which doubles as an old fashioned village with an old Hornby St James church.

med_gallery_997_197_216333.jpg

Edited by Jaz

Kalboro sidings GBRF

Kal really likes Class 66s and has renamed a couple and weathered one or two as well. We benefit from being in a loft and have velux windows with blinds which helps us manipulate the light.

med_gallery_997_197_385658.jpg

Edited by Jaz

Goathland station running into Goathland village... which was used by the producers of Heartbeat for filming. Goathland has also been home to the Harry Potter series of films, and there are also other examples of this fine preservation station being used. This is where 'filming' on Arboretum Valley originated.

IMG 342 old Goathland v1

med_gallery_997_198_589481.jpg

Now Goathland is in a bit of a time warp, because we have two versions, well we have had two versions, this one was the original version, which we tore out and replaced. Blame Hornby. Hornby bought out a resin set of Goathland stations, then Bachmann bought out their version, then Hornby raised the game again and bought out a third set BUT the best bit was the back of the station, and our station faced the wrong way..... .well yes we could have just leant over to take pictures, but by this time we had watched a lot of other modellers, and believe we had improved our skills.

We had up until then relied on MDF boards and plaster cast for a lot of our scenery. But thanks to a friend who had trialled PIR foam board, while we were coincidentally insulating the rest of our loft so supplies to play with were available..... .so version 1 got ripped out, and version 2 was replaced along with terraforming. Those boards sit on mostly bare MDF and can be lifted off in section for repairs / updates / maintenance.

More of this as time allows.

IMG 4198 new Goathland v2 where we are at the moment, a work in progress.

med_gallery_997_199_488182.jpg

Edited by Jaz
Highlander66 likes this

Goathland was our first station, our first 4ft x 8ft table / 1220mm x 2440mm. And it just grew from there. Being a Harry Potter fan - blame it on buying the books and the films for my sons. Then one birthday I plumped for having the Hogwarts Express, not realising it was not even the correct loco. Then once you had the train you need some characters from the film, then you needed an excuse to put them on the layout, so Zollywood needed a home. This might be a little known and probably very uninteresting fact but the Military is not short of ingenuity and have been known to rent out their hangars for film crews. Even pop stars have been known to take advantage of this. So anyway rather than a film studio per say the idea of a film studio on an air field was mooted, plus one of our friends was in his hey day a pilot, plus we had a collection of corgi helicopters appropriate for the scale... and what can you do the idea was planted... so we ended up with R.A.F. Zollywood, an old airfield abandoned after the second world war, which was now earning a little money from renting out the hangers, and some of the cash was used to put in a helipad for the local rescue, plus the odd old plane was acquired to attract visitors and produce more income, and as people might know the North Yorkshire Moors Railway does plenty of re enactments particularly of WW2... yep the idea just grew and grew and grew. People putting up snippets of information and them being absorbed into the layout.

So there you have it R.A.F. Zollywood.

IMG 549

med_gallery_997_200_394039.jpg

IMG 522

med_gallery_997_200_220754.jpg

IMG 178 with our pilot friend J (and as a joke as he is so not... I put him in a pink shirt) 

med_gallery_997_200_151751.jpg

I should get him to send me a picture and do a better minime... He did a decent one for his own avatar :)

Anyway this small diorama is about 2ft x 3ft 600m x 900mm. I do plan to do a better larger version, and did investigate some old airports but never actually moved forward with the idea, it is still on the list :) At present it joins the cross over between two long runs of tables in our new loft.

Now R.A.F Zollywood is above a diorama with a cove and harbour walls Port Lynn Cove. It was being made at the time we had a ding dong with an Australian modeller. This was not a serious fight you understand, we would playfully banter with a number of our viewers / posters and he would admit to be up for a verbal scuffle after being out for a drink or four.. and coming home.. and coming onto our thread where he knew he would get some sport, this led to some incredibly funny posts and he was one of the initial people who made us make more effort to try and be more accurate about how we modelled. Anyway some where along the line someone mentioned Port Wynn from Doc Martin... and there was some discussions about limies versus gaol bait, and we did threaten to put up some stocks... the model is around some where. Since this heady days things have quieted down , and Port Lynn Cove nowadays is a sleepy little port, where you might see a small fishing vessel, painted holiday sheds sunbathers snoozing in their deckchairs, donkey rides, and even a Punch and Judy Show... no puns intended :)

IMG 1574 a broad over view

med_gallery_997_201_255113.jpg

IMG 1576 walking the dogs...

med_gallery_997_201_326642.jpg

I do try to get in layout pictures, using the natural light to enhance the model, taken at eye level of the in house figures 

IMG 1624

med_gallery_997_201_283315.jpg

Okay this has covered some of our main areas, there are others, and some areas have been built then been superseded. I tend to be a bit like a butterfly, seeing interesting projects done by other people which has then inspired many parts of AV. Or being enthusiasm over something when a manufacturer brings out locos, or buildings or electronic upgrades etc. So be aware if you are doing something interesting and it catches my eye I might well  steal um copy the idea.....:). And friends have reciprocated :) I was part way through building a scratch built water feature on Goathland when a good friend who also models Goathland realised his model was not correct having read our thread and had started and finished the same item for his own layout :)before I was able to.... This is a good thing about this hobby, you can share ideas, see work that helps you improve your own, or just enjoy another persons take on how to do something. Plenty of people are very clever at elements of the hobby ,and quite good at most other aspects too (hiss boo lol) and some people find they really enjoy a single aspect.  I have come across people whose health has stopped them from producing new work, but they still have a wealth of knowledge to share.

Now matter how you enjoy this hobby these forums enable us to show and tell our experiences sharing the ups and downs of the hobby, and seeking help when stuck on specific aspects. I for one love it :) 

Okay, regards Zollywood film productions. They are occasionally caught in the lens them selves, but mostly they are behind the camera. I started a new project recently, so many of our friends have not seen it... so I'll lead into it slowly seeing if you can solve my little mystery...

I took a white corgi van, and re painted it (not the best of paint job you understand... but it should be quickly recognisable)

IMG 4269

med_gallery_997_202_259658.jpg

oooh... whilst here I will point out that I will probably only pop up one picture to one post as a general rule . I pop up a lot of pictures they use a lot of bandwidth, I don't want to cause any problems on refreshes with regards to the servers, so with only so many posts to a page, and a restricted number of pictures per post, I should hopefully not get my wrist slapped... crosses fingers...

IMG 4272
What a too do, this lass looks a little dated in her blue sun glasses... and why some one would wear sunglasses and a heavy knitted jumper is a complete mystery to me........she will get far too hot ...the heat will overwhelm her... um... I mean Thelma...

med_gallery_997_202_45472.jpg

Highlander66 likes this

IMG 4271
.....and just look at this chef wandering along the station platform he looks like he has completely lost the thread... coughs... I mean... Fred...

med_gallery_997_202_183904.jpg

Highlander66 likes this

IMG 4270
Just what is going on? It's a complete mystery...

erm... hang on... a van? What if it was in focus?

med_gallery_997_202_450068.jpg

isn't that? Nah can't be... can it?

well as the cat is now struggling to clamber out of the bag...
IMG 4274... you can see there is one of Zollywoods filming crew is out and a bout...
and as for the cat it's gone a bit dodgy... ummmm doggy...

med_gallery_997_202_261265.jpg

no no not the fox... look over there!!!!!!!

...but what's a girl to do... when what you need is Scooby doo...................
IMG 4273

med_gallery_997_202_133542.jpg

yeah yeah it is true...I'm a complete cheater/cheetah...
IMG 4278
med_gallery_997_202_59891.jpg

I may well make one in the future... it won't be the first dogs dinner i made from scratch... but Kal noticed this and said it looked like you know who.....:)

no no not Dr Who... we're not showing THAT............. yet... this is all about Scooooooby doooooooo

IMG 4275 now focused on .......

med_gallery_997_202_170748.jpg

"Alright Mr Deville, we're ready for our closeup...."

one...Fred ...check
two...Scoobydoo ...check
three... Daphne ...check
four... Thelma ..check
five... OI wheres five!!!!!!
.....but who are they looking for? 5? OMG....... where oh where is Shaggy???? frown emoticon

I don't have a suitable figure... nothing I can cannibalise... you need thin arms, a t shirt... a tall body and bell bottom legs and a weird head... oh dear oh dear i think it may be back to the drawing board, and pull out the fine copper wire and latex... I think I am going to have to scratch build our missing hero......(and possibly improve the Scooby?).....

IMG 4279 meantime ......we need something scary... to set the scene... an old abandoned coach perhaps?

med_gallery_997_202_400993.jpg

lol......i have just noticed that this thread has gone hot... and there is only me gabbling on here so far..... :rolleyes:

edited... and Jack he beat me to the post..... :D

Edited by Jaz

Fantastic layout!

thank you :)

edited... and i just went and looked up your profile... and noticed your a Dr Who fan... that will come in handy later :)

Edited by Jaz

I don't seem to find any links for videos..... .so I hope this ok..... .it pretty old, but there are several moving trains with sounds...

Edited by Jaz

As mentioned there are other areas of Arboretum Valley.

One of these areas that has had several make overs is Kalborough Union Station. It sits over the top of the Kalborough mainline station and has tunnel entrances to allow it to be seamless against the rest of the layout.

Initially it was a MDF board

After a couple of initial starts I liked the Hornby Terminus buildings and there stayed there for some time. I set it up as an old station that had been grown around, with the church have been there hundreds of years and over time squeezed into an urban environment.

IMG 1606

med_gallery_997_204_173965.jpg

It usually had a current day flavour inline with the mainline Kalborough station. There being many instances where two separate stations were geographically close. And two rails run right at the back.

Highlander66 likes this

IMG 995 

And the area was fairly easy to get nice photographs. Although with the tracks right to the back and no way to bring them forward the station was always an element better appreciated as you walked through the loft. As bird's eye view made it much more noticeable.

med_gallery_997_204_295247.jpg

quite often the station was not even in focus, and therefore a forgotten element.

Plus it had been widened as getting the church in the centre had not been easy, and ripping out the board, and messing with the track not a desirable step.

IMG 1687. So there was times when its bare skeleton was somewhat lacking.

med_gallery_997_204_515320.jpg

Plus Kal had said on more than one occasion... where on earth can you find a prototypical for that! And despite several google search I never did.

DunravenCastle4092 likes this