piermaster

Modelrail Scotland, SECC, Glasgow

3 posts in this topic

I was in Glasgow on business and spent 3 hours at ModelRail on the Friday afternoon 20/02/15. The last time I went to ModelRail Scotland was when it was held at the McLellan Galleries in Sauchiehall Street - that was over 30 years ago and to quote one of this year's stewards "That was when the show was in Black and White!!!" 

Didn't see everything, but what I saw I liked:

Friarsgate Depot by Ian Rankin - An interesting London Transport engineer's depot in OO and very expertly done with an interesting combination of aspects of Lillie Bridge and Neasden Depots, and my 35 years previous LT service gave Ian a couple of useful extra pointers. He'll be getting a set of photos of various LT engineering vehicles from me.

Dun Ui Riain by Model Railway Society of Ireland - An unusual narrow gauge naval garrison railway and a great way of displaying a multi-level 'rabbit warren' type layout.

Eskdale by Aberdeen MRC - A lovely O gauge layout, spoiled only by the dour and unwelcoming attitude of some its members, as an Aberdonian, I felt a bit embarrassed to call myself one. Some serious customer service skills training is needed by that club.

One club layout had seriously atrocious home made OHLE - it even hits you between the eyes in the exhibition programme photos!!

Outon Road by Brian Duncan - A well presented small (not micro) layout that is generic current British scene. Could be anywhere in Britain, just change the stock!!

Roundtrees Sidings by Blyth & Tyne Model Railway Society - Tyne & Wear to a tee! Beautifully portrayed by Tyne & Wear units working alongside BR freight and passenger.

Salz OBB by Michael Watts - Mike does Austrian excellently, what more can I say?

Starker Verkehr by Steve & Jean Grantham - It's great to see small and micro layouts together with the huge club projects, something lacking in a few other major exhibitions. Steve & Jean get everywhere, from Glasgow to Stowmarket in Suffolk and down to Arundel.

Towcester by John Norton & George Woodcock - This is a team that prides itself on excellent layouts. They can take my breath away!!

Trams of Yesterday by Glasgow South Model Tram & Rail Group - A lovely Scottish-themed tramway layout, surprisingly the only tramway layout in the show.

Weslo Steels by Dave Tailby - I've known Dave for years and we both do ironing board sized micro layouts, so it was good to see him up there. 

I only had three hours, next year I'll return for a full day!

Well done to the AMRSS team for a fantastic show.

David Hennessey likes this