Philip

First looses ScotRail

8 posts in this topic

It'll be interesting to see what'll happen. To think that First Group were quite a major company, now left only with TPE (possibly to be lost soon), Hull Trains and Great Western with Capital Connect recently going over to Govia who run London Midland to name one.

It'll be interesting to see what'll happen. To think that First Group were quite a major company, now left only with TPE (possibly to be lost soon), Hull Trains and Great Western with Capital Connect recently going over to Govia who run London Midland to name one.

I think because Transport for Scotland work a bit close with the franchise compared to others it might be a bit harder for things to go wrong. Hard to see what they will be doing with the current fleet in a few years when they get HSTs as well as the new EMUs for the Edinburgh - Glasgow line when it gets electrified

I hope they do a good job anyway, First have been concentrating on profits over service for a while now and East Coast are by far the preferred up here at the moment!

First have been concentrating on profits over service for a while now and East Coast are by far the preferred up here at the moment!

I don't tend to agree with that.

There's a good balance between the two in my view. Just the reputation tends to bring down the service more than anything. A load of people say it's bad, everyone expects it to be bad. When something goes wrong, everyone jumps on the bandwagon saying "Look how bad they are! Horrible service as always!". Even though the previous 10 or so days may have been flawless =/ 

I can't speak for Scotrail though as such. Only First services down south.

jcm@gwr likes this

True Richard, although i think First perhaps neglected their duties up here. The Aberdeen to Inverness routes is now extremely busy with commuters. They retain use of Class 158's - every evening packed full. 

Where the 170's are reserved for the Glasgow/Edinburgh routes. 

I thought some re-organisation based on statistics would of been good, although no idea if there is a technical reason for using 158's.