Jack

Jack's modern image fleet

94 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Jack said:

...a bargain price of £89...

The last DMU I bought was a second hand Tri-ang (1960s vintage) two car set in green. Beautiful runner when cleaned and oiled, despite its age. Purchased about four years ago, for the exorbitant price of twelve quid. 

Eighty nine, bargain? I think we'll have to differ there. ;) (;

12 hours ago, Bob Hughes said:

The last DMU I bought was a second hand Tri-ang (1960s vintage) two car set in green. Beautiful runner when cleaned and oiled, despite its age. Purchased about four years ago, for the exorbitant price of twelve quid. 

Eighty nine, bargain? I think we'll have to differ there. ;) (;

Knew you'd pipe up ;) (; 

Bob Hughes likes this

20 hours ago, Jack said:

UPDATE 08/08/2017:

So the likes of Hatton's, Rails of Sheffield and Kernow have recently (in the past couple of weeks) received more boxes full of Bachmann 350/1 and 350/2 LM models as it appears there's still loads that haven't been sold years ago. At a bargain price of £89, it was not surprising to see that loads of people have taken the most of this opportunity...

... myself included :cry: Oops!

350238 in London Midland's house colours joins the fleet!

Did wonder if you'd spot these. Nice.

Jack likes this

UPDATE 16/09/2017:

Yet again, I've found myself entering my card details online for some more bargains at the stock shifter websites. This time, Rails of Sheffield's gained my custom as they're selling Bachmann's more recent Class 150/2 model at a very decent £89.99! So I bought 2 (but I should add the 2nd is for a friend waiting for payday to avoid missing the deal :thumbsup: there's more about that later). I also was sent a link for the MPV Windhoff unit which was also available for £59.99! Again, that was snapped up as that's a very decent price.

So yeah, another expensive month :cry: "Why do you want a Centro 150?!" I hear you ask? Ok, well, maybe I can't hear you... Well, to go with my GWR 153, I thought this 150 could get the same treatment. It'd mean I'd spend less than when the actual release comes out later. It'd also mean the paint would be a direct match compared to having 2 slightly different coloured units. Good? It gets better. The mate who I'm buying the 2nd 150 for is going to do a direct bodyshell swap with his knackered 150 at home. The new bodyshells and buggered chassis (motor doesn't work apparently) are then being sold to me for the 57xxx vehicle to be inserted into my set so it becomes a 150/9. "But the 150/9 units GWR have are all blue!" Yes, that's true. But when I did the 153 the green only just made it onto the prototype...

Oh dear... another project :cheers:

Chris, CazRail and samw like this

UPDATE 16/11/2017:

2 months since my last guilty purchase, and I find myself in the same situation again. Or certainly did last night.

Trowling through Facebook, one of the guys I've sold stuff to before was hanging up his coat and selling a lot of his models, some of which I saw and went "Yep, I'll have that and that".

First up, a Bachmann Colas 37421 bodyshell. No chassis, but at £40 and with my 'requirement' to purchase 37099 when it comes out in May next year, I thought it'd be a lovely addition to the fleet. Yes, I've already got 2 Colas resprays I did myself. Do I like them? Not really. Am I selling them on? A mate will have them off me at some point.

23659872_1595271313864168_1823024097_o.jpg

The next purchase was a "oh my, never seen one complete for sale before so I'm having it" purchase. I'm not going to say how much it was, as it's quite high, but I think for the amount of work gone into it and the rarity of it (and popularity of it after I snatched it up too), I have myself an RHTT set.

23633129_1595271283864171_1054491106_o.jpg

It's nice that my DRS 20s have something to play with now! I mean 1 flask wagon wasn't going to be enough, was it? :cry:

Chris, Philip and Allegheny1600 like this

Those Facebook groups are lethal for the bank account... Luckily everything is gone before I get to it!

Jack likes this

On 16/11/2017 at 1:11 PM, samw said:

Those Facebook groups are lethal for the bank account... Luckily everything is gone before I get to it!

Couldn't agree more. I try and not look at them, but this post popped up and I cried.

20 hours ago, Chris said:

Nice!!

You really need to start planning a layout for all of this! A nice boxfile depot me thinks!

Yes. Yes I do. I've recently invested in some more Stobart Rail track machines. Currently got 5, with a further 2 more on their way. An engineering diorama, perhaps? Who knows :thumbsup:

samw likes this

Oooh, this is timely - I've been seeing a LOT of a certain RHTT train on my local lines, always topped and tailed by two GB Railfreight 73s. Fancied modelling it if and when I build my new layout - don't suppose they do RHTT sets in N? 

15 hours ago, AJV1 said:

Oooh, this is timely - I've been seeing a LOT of a certain RHTT train on my local lines, always topped and tailed by two GB Railfreight 73s. Fancied modelling it if and when I build my new layout - don't suppose they do RHTT sets in N? 

Never seen one modelled in N that I can remember mate. My local RHTT here is an MPV, but the homeland is now done by 56s but as a 3-wagon formation.

UPDATE 18/11/2017:

Someone please tell me to keep off the internet.

Mate said he was going to sell his East Mids 153 to get some funds in for Warley next weekend. He didn't have to wait long. I know those models are hard to find, as are most of the older 153 liveries, so it's currently on its way to me to be renumbered into 153383 and get 'Ecclesbourne Valley Railway 150 years' nameplates which I've asked Steve at Railtec to snap up for me when he's ready.

Buggeration.

On 18/11/2017 at 0:02 PM, Jack said:

Never seen one modelled in N that I can remember mate. My local RHTT here is an MPV, but the homeland is now done by 56s but as a 3-wagon formation.

Hmmm. It's definitely an interesting little formation to model. I like seeing the 73s trundle through Swanley. Or sometimes stop and the driver swaps locomotives, walks up the platform and gets in the other one and drives off :)

Jack likes this

UPDATE 06/12/2017:

Oops!

33d81c17-f2dd-4fa7-848d-520139d9a59f.jpg

558dc75c-9808-4130-8397-9127f07e2488.jpg

Dapol Hattons limited edition 121032 arrived in the country the other day. Couldn't wait until payday so decided to cough up! It's fair to say my account is really suffering now.

It's a stunning model and attention to detail is incredible, especially below the sole bar. The model has had its buffer beam detailing fitted and now takes pride place on the loco display shelf. It's a shame they couldn't allow for the extra window tooling in the guards van (should be 2 instead of 1), but nevertheless it's a beautiful model and a welcome addition to the collection.

Chris, StaffsRail and Allegheny1600 like this