Geo Ghost

Transport PotM Questionnaire (2012)

Transport PotM Questionnaire   11 members have voted

1. 1. Will you enter the competition should it restart?

• Yes I will every month
    • I may most months
    • I may occassionally
    • I will probably not enter or rarely take part
    • I am not interested in entering
  2. 2. On a scale of 1 to 5, with 1 being the lowest, how much have you enjoyed taking in TPotM since the reform? This can be as a enrant, voter, or both.

3. 3. Are there any issues that prevent you from entering?

• None what so ever
    • Not having the ability to take good photos
    • Not have time available
    • Not having photos that fit the theme
    • Conflictions with any rules (Please state)
    • Other (Please state)

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

18 posts in this topic

Hey all!

First off, appologies for any mistakes or typos in this post. I'm using a dodgy keyboard that doesn't seem to register key taps very well, and I have no spell checker (horror!)

Anyway, on with this message.

As regular ad long term members may know, I closed the Transport Photo of the Month a while back due to lack of interest.

I would like to open it again, but ONLY if there is sufficient interest in seeing it running again.

If you could take a couple of minutes to do te above polls, I would greatly appriciate it :)

In the event that I do restart the competition for December 2012, the theme will be an open theme, meaning that any transport-related entries are welcome.

Please do take he time to post your thoughts/views/suggestions to me as well. I would greatly like to hear them.

All the best!

-Richard

37425 likes this

Hi Richard,

Firstly, I would suggest use of the original spell-checker,

[Mk1 eye-ball & 'little grey cells'] you appear to have left

out a complete word!

Secondly, I wish to 'check' more than one box in the last

/third part of the poll. [2,3,4 & my camera is pooh!]

Thirdly, although I don't/haven't yet participated, I do enjoy

looking at and voting for the entries.

Good luck, Jeff

Geo Ghost likes this

Firstly, I would suggest use of the original spell-checker,

[Mk1 eye-ball & 'little grey cells'] you appear to have left

out a complete word!

I can explain that one. I was rushing to type it as the girlfriend wanted to go out :P

Tried fixing the issues on my phone but no luck. Worried the poll may reset if I change the options for it so I'll have to leave it for now.

Anyone voting to rate the competition, please message me why you vote it high or preferably low. I want to know why some haven't enjoyed it. Please, do tell me so I can improve it for everyone.

Transport photo of the month is a difficult one for me, busy & not having the photo's for the categories is my worry too.

I may enter on occasion but the model photo of the month is my favorite - but recent months being away from home means photo's are difficult to enter.

I also can easily forget about the voting coming round - i need something to catch my eye - like a homepage article!

Saying that, i love seeing others!

One of the problems for me is that the rule that was only allowing pictures to be entered that were taken in that month, as I don't take many pictures just mainly videos and also now because it getting darker earlier now so I am less likely to go and get a picture or video as its too dark.

My reason for not entering is i have absolutely no interest in the current railway at all.

Cheers

Jim

Jim,

I think you need to read the title again, it says 'Transport P.o.t. Month'!

Although to be honest, I tend to agree.

Jeff

Hi Jeff

Indeed but I have no interest in current buses, lorries, cars etc either.

Cheers

Jim

Ok Jim,

I get it, but that doesn't mean you can't take photos

of old planes, ships, cars, etc.

It's only the photo that has to be current not the subject.

Cheers, Jeff

One of the problems for me is that the rule that was only allowing pictures to be entered that were taken in that month, as I don't take many pictures just mainly videos and also now because it getting darker earlier now so I am less likely to go and get a picture or video as its too dark.

Hi mate. I believe you are mistaken. That rule was scrapped back in March :wacko:

Photos for transport PotM can be taken any time. Whether it be 20 minutes ago, or 20 years ago.

Model PotM is the only competition that holds the 'photo must be taken this month' as it is not theme based. Since TPotM is based by theme, I opened it out to photos taken any time for balance.

Section A - Photo Entries:

4) There is no restriction on when the photo was taken, You may enter a photo you took last night, or one you took 20 years ago – so long as it fits the theme.

My reason for not entering is i have absolutely no interest in the current railway at all.

Understandable. Tis not for everyone I guess though at least I know why some may not enter. Thanks for the info Jim :)

Those who have voted 1,2, or 3 on the scale, please do contact me with your views. I want to hear from you and get feedback as to why you're not enjoying taking part.

If members are not enjoying this competition, then I need to make efforts to adjust and change it. However, I need to know the specific areas of improvement.

Thanks for the feedback so far guys :)

Jack and 37425 like this

When all else fails, read the instructions. :D

Richard, I know there's work involved in running any sort of competition, and reducing it to quarterly would relieve this workload a bit, but doing so would also dilute the interest still further. three months is a long time and some folks have the attention span of a goldfish.

What was I saying? Oh, yes, I remember now. Goldfish. Nice with mustard mash and garden peas...

Sorry. But you know what I mean. Leave it three months and there'll be nobody looking in to see what's happening. Please keep it monthly if you're going to keep it at all.

Cheers

Edit - spelling.

Edited by Blackcloud Railways
Geo Ghost and Jack like this

I would agree it makes it easier to enter a photo if there is no theme and does not have to be taken within that month.

I would agree it makes it easier to enter a photo if there is no theme and does not have to be taken within that month.

Again, no such rule exists for Transport Photo of the Month.

Richard, I know there's work involved in running any sort of competition, and reducing it to quarterly would relieve this workload a bit, but doing so would also dilute the interest still further. three months is a long time and some folks have the attention span of a goldfish.

Sorry. But you know what I mean. Leave it three months and there'll be nobody looking in to see what's happening. Please keep it monthly if you're going to keep it at all.

Cheers

Edit - spelling.

Hey Bob. Don't worry, the competitions will never be quarterly, bi-monthly, or anything like that. They'll always remain monthly competitions :)

The main reason TPotM was frozen was due to lack of interest. Some months only having 2 or three entries. I wasn't unusual for me to beg people like Jack or Daniel to enter just to at least boost the numbers and make it more interesting and more of a competition.

Now that it's had a 'break' as it were, I'm looking to find ways to fix and improve it :)

-----

However, this needs to be mentioned. Neither competition, TPotM or MPotM will never have 'no limitations'. Model photo of the month is restricted by photos having to be taken for that month because it is a photo for that month. But, it is not limited by any other factor - same as the old Real Photo of the Month used to be.

Transport Photo of the Month is limited by theme as opposed to a restriction on photos having to be taken that month.

The reason is balance. If I were to allow one, or both competitions to run without such rules, then people would just be able to enter any old photo from any old time. Ok, you would get a lot of people at first, but it would become very boring very quickly. They'd be no meaning behind either of them any more, nor any way to really engage with the competitions and be creative. They would almost become a "post any old photo" competition which doesn't seem interesting, fun, challenging, or anything. Anyone with different views to that, please do tell me :)

When Real PotM became Transport PotM, I scrapped the 'photos must be taken this month' rule entirely. But to balance it and still make the competition interesting and creatively challenging, a new rule was needed. The 'theme' based competition seemed the most interesting and opened up a lot at the time and I know it to be an engaging one from other competitions I organise and at first it seemed to be here. However, the opinions are very split between "Really like the competition" and "Don't like it at all" - that's really what I want to find out. Why and what people do, and don't like.

So far all I can tell is that people have issues entering when they don't have a photo that fits the theme. An understandable one and I'll see what I can do to perhaps allow for that.

However, saying that you don't like how photo's have to be taken in that month is not applicable here as that rule was scrapped back in March/April 2012. I posted about the new rules for a number of months in each new round, I informed and pointed them out when the changes were applied, they were posted in an article on the home page, and they have been mentioned in each newsletter for a long time.

Again, please post or message me your views/feedback on the competition - especially if you haven't enjoyed it.

Remember, there is not a 'photos must be taken this month' rule. That ONLY applies to Model Photo of the Month.

37425 likes this

I personally prefer the rule that a photo must be taken in the given month to the theme rule. This is mainly because some of the themes were hard to interpret, and because its called photo of the month, therefore it should be the best photos taken that month and not just from any old time.

Hi mate. I believe you are mistaken. That rule was scrapped back in March :wacko:

Photos for transport PotM can be taken any time. Whether it be 20 minutes ago, or 20 years ago.

Model PotM is the only competition that holds the 'photo must be taken this month' as it is not theme based. Since TPotM is based by theme, I opened it out to photos taken any time for balance.