Tim Hale

Beaminster Road - Through Hardy's Wessex

96 posts in this topic

For almost sixty years I have lived within sight and sound of some part of the Southern Railway. Now, with my retirement in sight, I am making an effort to recreate a part of the railway that has been my constant companion.

This thread charts the history, the planning and the building of a model of the station that should have been built to serve the West Dorset town of Beaminster.

In fact, the London & South Western Railway actually purchased the land at Wayford but the plans were quietly shelved, leaving Beaminster without a railway station, this thread seeks to change that mistake in history.

Beaminster Road station would have been located on Wayford Hill Wayford is a village and civil parish on the River Axe, 3 miles (5 km) south-west of Crewkerne, in the South Somerset district of Somerset, England. The parish contains the hamlets of Oathill and Clapton.

Wayford+Map.JPG

The station would have been built just to the west of the overbridge on Wayford Hill, you can see the parcel of land owned by the railway adjacent to the line. See the image below.

IMG_0028.JPG

Looking west towards Chard Junction

IMG_0027.JPG

Looking east towards Crewkerne

IMG_0031.JPG

Looking south towards Beaminster

Just one image of the layout, it is a corner of the station forecourt.

IMG_0137_800_Final.jpg

Thank you for looking

Tim

Hey Tim.

One image certainly says a lot. I love the grass and flora scenery you've got there.

For a second, I thought it was another real-life shot as I was scrolling down.

I look forward to seeing more soon. If the above image of a section of the layout is anything to go by, I feel we'll be in for a treat! ^_^

All the best,

-Richard

7APT7 and Tim Hale like this

IMG_0138_2000.jpg

This is the lock-up, the inspiration comes from Chandlers Ford on the Eastleigh-Romsey line. In turn, this was used by Martyn Welch to create Hursley. Does anyone remember the cameo of the old Ford parked alongside the lockup?

As the layout is still being built, none of the building have been planted hence the gap at the base.

IMG_0150_1600.jpg

The goods yard represents a typical yard in the 50's, the original surface had been laid in concrete during WW2 to cope with the increased military traffic at this once important logistic depot, however nature has begun to take over.

IMG_0112-4000.jpg

IMG_0112-flowers.jpg

IMG_0158_1700.jpg

Tim

Edited by 119893
Allegheny1600, 7APT7 and Bob Hughes like this

Stunning! Absolutely breath-taking! Will certainly be following this with interest!

Tim Hale likes this

That is incredible! Fantastic work with the grass and detailing.

We are certainly a lucky lot to have another brilliant talent among us ^_^

What stock will you run on this layout?

-Richard

Tim Hale likes this

IMG_0160_1600.jpg

This is a typical corner in the station forecourt however this is what is going to be planted in the corner.

Bud_White.jpg

Buddleia (also known as the "Butterfly Bush") are a great summer plant for the garden, they are easy to care for, they have bright vibrant colours, and they act like a magnet to butterflies (and Hummingbirds in warmer countries). But when the summer is over some backwork is needed in cutting back the old wood ready for the next season.

The 'plant' is just 20mm high

Tim

7APT7, Jack, Allegheny1600 and 1 other like this

So small, yet so much detail. Goodness me. Where did you get this bit of scenery from?

There's a Buddleia bush in the garden next to us. It's cut down almost to the roots every so often then after a few months, it's almost as tall as the house again. crazy things!

What stock will you run on this layout?

-Richard

IMG_0759.jpg

IMG_0758.jpg

IMG_0760.jpg

Introduced on the SR by Bulleid, the Tavern car sets were the precursor to the ubiquitous BR Mk1 catering sets, these coaches are Comet sides on Bachmann donor vehicles built by Chris White of SR Models and they are a good match for Bachmann revised BR (S) green.

Later, I will start posting images of the locomotives on the layout.

Tim

Geo Ghost and 7APT7 like this

I reckon that's wonderful, but SWMBO says the buddleia should be purple.

There's no pleasing some folk. :rolleyes:

7APT7 likes this

Cheers Tim, but the missus still insists on it being purple, as most of the railway banking weeds around here are.

On the topic of weeds... I've noticed on recent trips by train that the lineside in many areas is being overrun by Japanese knotweed, ousting the traditional rosebay willowherb and even the ubiquitous brambles. Probably very much to the consternation of residents who's gardens back onto the railway. Yet another example of the changing face of the prototype as time passes by, and something that fans of the modern railway (I'm not one of them) should reflect when modelling their lineside undergrowth.

Anyway, back on topic, I find your traditional British weeds very impressive and look forward to seeing more. :D

Veggy1_1600.jpg

For the past couple of evenings, I have been creating another vegetable plot for the layout, this time adjacent to the goods yard. Rather than use 'proper' fences, I remembered that the railway didn't pay their employees a good wage and they would use whatever was handy - in this case corrugated sheets as fencing.

Here the sheets are being held whilst the glue sets, more to come when the glue sets.

Veggy2_1600.jpg

Almost finished, a water butt and other gardening paraphernalia are needed.

Tim

7APT7 and Jack like this

That's really impressive and quick progress.Again, the scenery looks brilliant.

Reminds me that I really must get round to at least doing the wiring for my layout. It's nearly a year over schedule now :P

7APT7 likes this

Blimey! That is quite a change in just a couple of months! Excellent photos!

The layout is just 4,8m x 3,0m but the track plan is very simple whilst the majority of track is in the fiddleyard:

FY_Complete1_775.jpg

It took three wasted years to get where I was in June but the Diamond Jubilee break was four days of hard work and I already had the station buildings etc.

Since June I have worked almost every evening and weekend to create the scenery, the grass will be detailed, fences, hedges built but the most important feature will be the trees.

For this I plan to use a mixture of RTP and handbuilt, with a signature 25cm tree standing alone in the field behind the pillbox.

IMG_0052.jpg

Tim

BTW doesn't anyone use the 'likes'?

Wow!

Tim, that is some really excellent work there, well done matey!

You'll certainly be able to run plenty of trains through there.

Cheers,

John E.

... a signature 25cm tree standing alone in the field behind the pillbox

Ah, but how tall would that tree have been in the days of green trains? I worked at New Mills Central in the late seventies, a gorgeous station surrounded by mature trees, but I've seen a model of the same station with bare banking above and below the railway. Despite looking very different from the station as I knew it the layout was accurate to photographs taken in earlier times which was the era of the model's setting.

Observation on the wriggly tin allotment fence, as well as being readily available it probably kept rabbits out better than a wood or wire fence would have done... Providing there's a bit to go over the gateway too. :D

7APT7 likes this

Observation on the wriggly tin allotment fence, as well as being readily available it probably kept rabbits out better than a wood or wire fence would have done... Providing there's a bit to go over the gateway too. :D

It isn't finished work on the allotment or do you only want to see the finished layout?

However I think that most people want to see the work in progress or am I mistaken because I can stop posting until it is completed, OK? :mellow:

Tim

7APT7 likes this

Just commenting that the sheeting would work better to protect the veg and is therefore a good choice of fencing material. No malice intended... NB the smiley, I thought that would have indicated the gateway remark was in jest, sorry.

I'll not mention the need for a few 4mm scale flowers to keep miniature slugs distracted.

:rolleyes:

7APT7 likes this

Hey there,

Please don't stop posting your photos of your layout, I really enjoy looking at photos of it as all the scenic work you have done is amazing!

I have been a silent reader since the topic started, but will not be no more ;)

Keep up the good work and the updates coming.

All the best,

George

Allegheny1600, 7APT7 and Tim Hale like this