CazRail

CazRail: Workbench

237 posts in this topic

So my loco fleet seems to be having mixed fortunes at the moment...

Class 37 fleet performing faultless, well, apart from 37411 'Castell Caerffili/Caerphilly Castle' (ViTrains) which is my oldest Vi loco. She needs a wheel clean, and some minor repairs on one of her bogie frames, which slips down from time to time and causes problems. With her being put back in her box for now, this meant there was room for 37405 on the layout.

My Hornby class 60s are not so good, both suffering from coupling issues. 60026 (EW&S) has been repaired, and Im currently testing her, whilst 60040 (DB Schenker / Territorial Army) I have given up with for now. They have both been suffering from 'sticking' couplers, which have the annoying tendancy to drag off the front vehicle of a rake.

I will report on their repairs soon :)

Regards,

Caz...

Edited by CazRail
class66 likes this

My class 60s now repaired, and both have been in traffic, but 026 has developed a decoder fault. I first discovered this fault when she 'ran away', and launched itself into some bufferstops :mellow: oops! Its coupler was again damaged, but i repaired it, and because of the fault, only sees occasional use. 60040 sees use atleast once a week.

37 fleet is down to 2 examples, rest Ive stored in their boxes for a while so I can clean up their wheels. 37411's bogies have been sorted. I used a spare gear tower from my donor chassis, and fitted it with the original wheelsets, pick-ups and bogie frames used.

Im also drawing up plans for a DRS '37/4', probably 37409 or 37425.

A new fueling pad has been put together in the depot area of my temporary layout, the old one was becoming abit naff.

Jack and class66 like this

Haven't updated here in a while...

All of my loco fleet is serviceable, with only a shortage of decoders requiring abit of a shake-up when I want to run something I rarely use.

You will have seen my latest project involving Mk3 coach, a DVT and a load of yellow Halfords Car Paints. That project has concluded, for more on it, visit the thread!

So, currently, my workbench is a rather empty area, with only one project on hand, but is a substantial one...

Using a Hornby RailRoad class 06, I am creating a model of the Dolgarrog Railway Society's 0-4-0DM shunter 'Taurus'. I will soon create a separate thread on this topic, as I think its worth a read!

So whats next?

...well, each loco will gradually visit 'the works' in the next few weeks to have front end detailing fitted to one end only. Not all locos will receive this treatment, likely only to be Hornby and Bachmann locos. The only loco treated so far is DB Schenker 67018, and of course my NR DVT as it comes detailed by default.

For more info, keep your eyes here!

Jack and class66 like this

Interesting stuff Caz!!! Drs 37/4s :)  im planning on project to build 37606 and 37423 with wipack working lights...

Cheers Neil. I look forward to see how your models turn out!

class66 likes this

Cheers Neil. I look forward to see how your models turn out!

Wil keep you posted Caz!!! ;)

New project, didn't need its own topic. 

Weathering locomotives and stock is a matter not many are confident in, but most are willing to give it a crack. So that's what I'm doing!!

Using Humbrol's range of weathering powders, I will attempt to weather some of my loco fleet :) will be getting my powders on my birthday, later on this month, so will keep updating here.

In the meantime, better clean the first to be treated, my EWS 37405! 

class66 likes this

i will be following with great interest. i also want to weather using the powders the Humbrol YouTube videos are quite good to watch.

Them videos are what inspired me! There is no faffing around with cleaning airbrushes, and is a fairly quick way to do it :) 

Thanks for the comment!

Precisely! Its why it appeals to me to be honest, knowing me I'd make a terrible mistake!

Edited by 37116comet

You can't expect powders to do washed on dirt. I appreciate you are just starting out but the trick is to work WITH the techniques to get the result you want. Powders will get you part of the way and are good to start with for the reasons mentioned. Just don't expect them to be only technique you need for a good result.

Hth

Jim

Thanks for the advice Jim :)

Im planning to use washed to add variation to the technique. Might add some acrylic paint with thinners also to emphasize a thick build up of dirt around rivets, grilles and underframe areas. 

Jim S-W and class66 like this

Im using Humbrol matt paints and Humbrol weathering powders,for different shades,for light weathering or heavy weathering.... ;)

Theres some good photos of weatherd locos on the WNXX website...

Im using Humbrol matt paints and Humbrol weathering powders,for different shades,for light weathering or heavy weathering.... ;)

Theres some good photos of weatherd locos on the WNXX website...

Indeed! I've got at least one photo of each of my diesel fleet, not to accurately replicate, but to get some idea on how grubby the real locos were. My EWS 37 fleet I've found photos of them towards the late 2000's (if they were still in service, in that case photos of them just before withdrawal), as that's how I remember them, especially 37405, 411 and 417 from their days working Holyhead RTZ vans.

Even just before withdrawal, EWS kept their locos in fairly good condition. Unless they were re-instated after two or three years, the paint work would be in fair condition, with no real fades, which if any could be re created with white powders. An example almost anyone would think of was 37670 which was re-instated to replace 37417 after it went pop (quite literally) in 2008.

Good thing with the EWS livery on a 37, is that it wears very very well, clean or dirty. That's what I like about them! 

class66 likes this

Update; Weathering!

Have acquired some Humbrol weathering powders, and have applied some to 37703.

Here's how its turned out so far guys...

Any feedback will be most welcome guys, my first attempt at weathering anything, and I think its come out alright. What do you think??

Thanks
Jack likes this

nice job turned out well... how easy was the weathering powders to use

The powders are fairly easy to use if you don't overload the brush, you should use it very sparingly.

Must take care with the varnishing though, it can go pear-shaped easily.

class66 likes this

i been thinking of trying these too... do you have to varnish them..?

what type of varnish do you use

Yes, you varnish it to protect the powder after, you should use something like Humbrol's Matt or Satin spray varnish. 

class66 and blvrace like this